Am enjoying reading the new third edition of Meerman Scott's classic book... all of four years old... now in third edition.Â Lots of good strategy and how to's... including the list of his key rules as below.
- You are what you publish.
- People want authenticity, not spin.
- People want participation, not propaganda.
- Instead of causing one-way interruption, marketing is about delivering content at just the precise moment your audience needs it.
- Marketers must shift their thinking from mainstream marketing to the masses to a strategy of reaching vast numbers of undeserved audiences via the web.
- PR is not about your boss seeing your company on TV. Itâ€™s about your buyers / members seeing your organisation on the web.
- Marketing is not about your agency winning awards. Itâ€™s about your organisation winning new members, business etc
- The Internet has made public relations public again, after years of almost exclusive focus on media.
- Organisations must drive people into the purchasing process with great online content.
- Blogs, online video, e-books, news releases, and other forms of online content let organizations communicate directly with buyers / members / audiences in a form they appreciate.
- Social networks allow people all over the world to share content and connect with the people and organisations they choose to work with.
- Marketing is more than just advertising.
- PR is for more than just a mainstream media audience.
- On the web, the lines between marketing and PR have blurred.
Slightly adapted.Â Original from D Meerman Scott â€œThe New Rules of Marketing and PRâ€ 3rd Edition, 2012